Monday, 16th December 2013

Community Login



Please login first

Please login first


North Down Community Blogs

Tell us what's going on, what you're thinking, what you're up to etc. A weblog is like having your very own column in the biggest newspaper in the world!
Anyone can read and rate your blogs but you must be registered and logged in to write one!

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.

Doggy First Aid - Poisons

Posted by on in General Blog Posts
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 132
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print
  • Report this post

Hi Everypawdy, Lexi here. 

Beau and I would like to share some of the new knowledge that our hoomins has on doggy first-aid that they did learn at the seminar last night – seminar is a big word for “night out without us but with all the doggy friends”!!  

The first, and we thinks most impawtant, thing we want to share is about poisonous things. There is many websites available that discuss this topic, but still there are lots of hoomins who aren’t sure, or don’t even realise that there is lots of everyday items that are toxic to us dogs.  

See we dogs rely on our hoomins to take care of us as we don't always know that things are dangerous and bad for us. If something sniffs good we is gonna taste it, an if it tastes good well we gonna eat or drink it – you has to be the ones to keeps us out of temptation!! So here is some things that we has learnt.... 

First things first -Poison Proof your home, for advice check out this page. 

Common items that are Poisonous 

  • Chocolate -  

    • Milk Chocolate - 9g. Of Chocolate per kg of Dog. 

    • Plain Chocolate is much more poisonous. 


  • Onion & Garlic  (Raw & Cooked). 
  • All Lillies (they is pretty plants what mummees like!). 

  • Anti freeze. 

  • Slug pellets. 

  • All human Medication. 

  • Grapes & Raisins. 

There are many, many more, please take a look at this document from Dogs Trust as this is more comprehensive 

What to do if the worst happens 


If the poison is Slug pellet's - Do not try to make the dog vomit - This is really impawtant!!!  


For all other Poisons try to make the dog vomit, this can be achieved using a teaspoon of Soda Crystals. Always contact your vet for further advice and assistance, they will be able to check on the Veterinary poisons database for the very best way to treat your best pal!! 


Next time we be giving you an outline for a doggy first aid kit to keep to hand.... 
Me hopes this has been informative, but I really hopes you do never needs any of this!! 

Fanks for reading 

Lexi :o)
Rate this blog entry:
  • No comments found

Copyright Spectator Newspapers ©  2013
D E Alexander & Sons Ltd, 91 Main St, Bangor, Co Down BT20 4AF
Tel: +44 (0)28 9127 0270 E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.